A funeral service for 90 year old Mr. Milford M. “Red” Curtis will be held at Trinity Episcopal Church in Potsdam, on Friday, March 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM, with the Ven. Dr. Christopher A. Brown officiating. A reception for family and friends will follow at the church. A spring burial will be in the Bayside Cemetery in Potsdam. If friends desire memorial contributions may be made in his memory to Trinity Episcopal Church, Potsdam; or to the Antique Automobile Club of America National Museum West Gouverneur Road, Hershey, PA, or the Potsdam Hospital. There are no calling hours. Arrangements are with the Seymour Funeral Home in Potsdam. Mr. Curtis died at Canton-Potsdam Hospital on March 10, 2015. He was a resident of Potsdam.
“Red” is survived by his wife Jean of Potsdam, a daughter Susan Curtis of Franklin, TN; a son and daughter in law James Curtis of Silver Springs, MD, 4 grandchildren: Michael Morris, Shannon Spinney, Jessica Curtis, and Lyell Curtis, a brother Robert Curtis of Long Island, NY; numerous nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews. “Red” was pre-deceased by a sister Marilyn Fairchild and two sisters in law Nancy LaChance and Elisabeth Adams.
Milford was born in Russell, NY on January 5, 1925, the son of Gerald and Florence (Stowell) Curtis. He graduated from Russell high school and served in the U. S. Navy during WW II. Following his military duty he returned to Clarkson College and graduated in 1948 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. On August 17, 1950 he married Jean Carruthers in Canton, NY.
His working career began in Canton where he first operated a used car sales and salvage yard. Later he located his auto dealership on the Canton-Potsdam Road, finally moving to Potsdam where he operated Courtesy Chrysler-Plymouth and “Curtis Motors” Olds-Buick dealership until he retired. “Red” was renowned for his love of Antique Automobiles. He enjoyed hunting and was a long time member of the Stillwater club. He was a Master Judge in the Antique Automobile Club of America; a member of the St. Lawrence-Adirondack Region AACA, Potsdam BPOE Elks Lodge, the Seaway Valley Cruisers; Potsdam Rotary Club; a former member of the Potsdam Lions Club, and the Canton Fire Department, and Masonic lodge. He was a long time member of the Potsdam Hospital Advisory Board. “Red” served on the Community Bank Advisory board, and held the position of Chairman for the Board for 12 years. He was an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Potsdam where he served in several support roles.